For a couple of months in the near perfect summer of 1990/1991, Jacob Zuma came to stay in my house in Norwood, Johannesburg… Twenty five years later, my former house guest has all but morally bankrupted Nelson Mandela's ruling African National Congress. President Zuma's vision-free leadership, corrupt personal behaviour and attempts to use his political power to distort the judicial system render him no better than Italy's corrupt bunga-bunga partying ex-prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi."
So begins God, Spies And Lies, the most explosive insider’s account since Mandela came to power, a never-before-seen insider’s account of how South Africa got here -- and how things went wrong. It takes you into the room with Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki, into the Oval Office of the US President and the British Prime Minister’s Chequers country estate, as the fate of southern Africa was being set before and after 1994.
Among its revelations are:
- How Nelson Mandela studied the Afrikaner Broederbond to end white rule at the same time as he set up the military wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe in 1961
- The story of the apartheid spy who fooled the white liberal elite
- What made George Bush Senior change his mind about white rule in Southern Africa
- How Robert Mugabe fooled South African intelligence
- Why South Africa missed the Information Economy
- What disillusioned Thabo Mbeki with the British Labour Party
- How Jacob Zuma came under the spell of the Chinese Communist Party.
- What it would take to get the country back on track
John Matisonn has had a bird’s eye view of S